Saturday, April 23, 2011

So, if you can believe it, we are still at the hospital...

Quinn's line was continuing to grow a bug called micrococcus, which from my research is a very resistent bug. We were treating with rocephin and vancomyacin before we found out what bug it was. Thankfully the micrococcus is actually susceptible to vancomyacin. Unfortunately for us, however, Quinn's cultures remained positive and after 5 - 6 days on the antibiotics, it was decided to pull the line, which was actually a good thing because after the line was pulled, it was noticeably swollen. The dressings had covered up the swelling. she hasn't had a peripheral culture taken since the night she first started with fevers... Monday night... but the line was obviously not clearing from the bug. Clinically, Quinn is doing great! It's hard to be in the hospital when your child is obviously sick, but even harder when your child is feeling well... and Quinn has been feeling excellent the past few days. She hasn't had any fevers, she's tolerating her feeds (aside from the GI doc who thought she should get oral feeds and that mirilax would fix her problems... a whole different story that I just don't feel like getting into... it failed, of course and I am getting really sick and tired of having to prove that Quinn PHYSICALLY can't handle enough oral feeds to actually sustain nutrition.) anyway, aside from that off and on stomach pain, she's doing marvelous and I just want to take her home. She has been getting elavil as a daily med and donnitol as an "as needed" med (in which she has needed at least once or twice a day, but that's ok, better than tpn imo) and donnitol works wonders ! for her. She looks great. But the cultures are still positive for micrococcus.

So, after we pulled the line, they had to place a peripheral IV in, this was today... unfortunately, her peripheral veins are not tolerating the vancomyacin at all. Her IV area is getting swollen, red and there is an area that puffs up like a big HUGE bug bite, but 20 minutes after the vancomyacin is turned off, the area returns to normal. The IV is not infiltrated and we can still get blood return, so we determined that her peripheral IV's are just not liking the Vancomyacin. So this afternoon, she did not get her full dose. we had to turn it off half way into the infusion, and I need to...

I have ot get off now maybe i will finish this later...

basically we are here till at least monday.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Oh I am so sorry!!! Hospital stays truly are difficult and even more so when the little one is feeling" ok". Hang in there and I hope you can get a new picc soon and get HOME. I am also praying you got your rent issues figured out!

uilleackhabegger said...

Caesars Casino, Resort & Spa Reviews - Dr.MCD
Overall good customer service. Great 충주 출장마사지 facilities, 상주 출장샵 great food, great service, good staff, great atmosphere. 목포 출장마사지 I really 세종특별자치 출장안마 liked the hotel. The decor was great and 이천 출장안마 the staff was